Old December 20th 17, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sailplane/trailer moving?

Very often if you ask around through the soaring people you know, friends-of-friends connections etc ... you can often find somebody who will drive a rig for you -- how much they know and a few other important issues are yours to figure out ... or pay the consequences.

Last fall I drove a glider & trailer back from Redmond OR to Saratoga NY .... all the way across the country -- did it for free for a friend (he paid all the expenses ... and they added up to a bit less than $3500, including the rental U-Haul that pulled it).

There are a LOT of things to know, if you are trailering gliders. But absolutely right at the top of the list is inspecting the trailer -- wheel bearing must be recently repacked -- GOOD tires, structurally sound trailer, lights working ... and in most jurisdictions in the eastern US ... it needs a plate, or you will collect a lot of expensive tickets.

Oregon doesn't require plates on trailers, but that will NOT get you across the USA ... and I knew that. Pulled it across with a Hawaii trailer plate ... that had expired in 2012 ... got away with that.

The liability issues of pulling somebody else's trailer are a real issue worth thinking about ...