Old May 31st 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default 1202 Transponder Squawk Code - In a Tow Plane?

When we were using a tow plane with a transponder, I spoke with Vero Beach tower and they agreed that having the tow plane squawk 1202 made sense if it was on a towing mission. And, no need to switch to 1200 when the glider is released and the tow plane is heading back to the gliderport. They prefer to know who you are and what kind of operation you are doing. Thus, 1202 helped them sort us out from other GA traffic.

If in doubt, contact your closest tower or Tracon.

Paul A.