Old April 18th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What's going on at Perry, SC Region 5N # 711 reporting

Today, Wednesday, April 18th, has been xcelled due to weather. We had
a pilots meeting this morning at 10:30 am, and the daily winners from
the 4 classes, from yesterdy, the first cntest day, told their
stories. Dave Martin, BV, who has been contest soaring since about
1977.....err......30 years, wins his first day. He is smiling from ear
to ear. He found wave and used it to the first turn, which really
increased his first leg speed, by about 20 mph over the rest of the
pack. Congrats to BV. great flight and win. Last night we were treated
to chicken on a beer and a great airshow by Gary Ward.
DJ wins first day in Sports, LBL Standard, and W3 18 Meter. All
classes had TAT's with the 2nd and 3rd turn being th same. Going from
the 2nd to 3rd turn area was into the wind, lift was weak, 2-3 kts,
and max lift was 4000 agl. Except for the wave, which some got up to
8,000 msl.
First day, Monday, we had high winds and at 4,000 msl they were 340
degrees at 69 kts. Today, Wednesday, high, solid clouds, closed us
out. P3 is CD, SZ took over as weatherman, thanks SZ as QV went back
north to be with a friend. Also, KS went north, as did HW, But HW
cameback and gave us a report on our friend, Dale Kramer. We were told
he is now in Pittsburg and receiving the best in medical care. All of
our prayers wish for a speedy recovery, as Dale is very much a part of
our soaring family.

The next 3 days, we feel we will have the sky's to make a contest.

Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe # 711 reporting.