Old May 7th 09, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Beginner questions about buying a sailplane...

On May 6, 9:32*pm, Chris Reed wrote:
Bob wrote:
Another thing, K-8's sell from 1500€ (2000$). These planes are still
flyable and have pased inspection in the last year as here in Germany
all planes get inspected yearly by the LVB. I checked about shipping
on 2 months ago and was quoted a price of 2000€ from Bremerhaven to
Charleston.

K8s are fun to fly, but very dispiriting if you have any headwind at
all. If you have USD10-20k to spend, and want to do any more than soar
locally around your home airfield, then glass is the only way to go
IMHO. I've had fun flying a K6, in which you can do good XC flying, but
this also becomes too tiring for a new XC pilot - serious XC in a K6 is
for the more experienced pilot.

Chris

I wasn't advocating the K-8 as much as giving it as an alternative to
the 1-26, same performance for less money.

I agree totally about glass! An Astir, Cirrus, ASW15... The list is
endless and all can be had for 10-20$ with sutable (not perfect but
usable) trailer.

Bob (Who's first plane purchase is a part of a Nimbus 3DT)