Old September 11th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Too many accidents

On 9/11/2018 1:15 AM, Ian wrote:
Anecdotally, I notice that quite a few of these accidents involve 2
seaters. Maybe when there are two, experienced, pilots on board, the
dynamics change - both waiting for each other to take control and
recover when things go wrong?

Not an accident, but...

I was once in the back of my friend's two seater and we had been in a
straight line cruise towards home for quite some time.Â* At about 5-10
miles out he said that he'd take over now.Â* What?Â* I thought you were
flying!

There should never be waiting to take over; the pilot flying should take
action when something goes wrong.Â* And there should always be a positive
transfer of control when switching over.

--
Dan, 5J