Old November 7th 03, 12:38 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Alistair Wright" wrote in message

"Chris Nicholas" wrote in message
Alistair, Hi! I certainly remember you. Didn't know where you went
after North Weald.

I have seen a recent posting which suggested that using the diff as the
drive for a winch drum on the axle and doubling the speed is not a
recipe for long life

Quite true as we found out. We had a source of free lorry back axles at

the
time and we went through a fair number till we altered the lubricating
system to thinner oil with a pump and cooler. I left SGC about that time

so
have no data on the subsequent fate of that winch. Considering it

replaced
our original S/H ex Derby and Lancs one (Ford V8) which was on its last

legs
when we bought it , it did pretty well.

My next club was the Coventry GC at Husbands Bosworth where very little
winching took place -- I only had about 4 in as many years - it was all
aero-towing at HB.

I did not see your winchosaurus,

You were lucky then! It wasn't a pretty sight I can tell you. I have a
model of it somewhere.

When we lost the use of wire launching at North Weald but had bought
Ridgewell and needed to acquire one or more winches, we tried a
converted bus.

I used to think NW's auto towing was magic. On a good day you could get
twenty launches an hour. Didn't half use up Ford Zephyrs though!!

Now, we have ended up with 4 ex-ATC winches bought at auction, getting
two reasonable ones from them plus a lot of spares, and replacing their
powertrains. One had a total cab transplant too, professionally built;
the other is in the course of having a lower cost replacement cab, made
by some of our members.

Good idea. The ATC jobs were very well built and designed to launch T21s.
A winch that could hoist one of those to 1000ft would launch anything.

When we re-engined an ATC winch at Enstone from 150hp Bedford diesel to the
275hp XJ-6 Jag we got some pretty solid launches. After a time we developed
a vibration and thought one of the pillow blocks on the drum had given up,
but this wasn't the case. The vibration got worse, so we pulled all of the
wire from the drum and found it to be collapsing inward under the strain of
launching the Twin Astir and L-13 under more power than the winch had been
designed for.

Frank Whiteley