Old December 28th 18, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default Taildragger Technique for Gliders

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 8:53:56 PM UTC-5, 6PK wrote:
On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 5:48:53 PM UTC-8, 6PK wrote:
On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 4:43:22 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
Is anyone aware of a glider textbook or manual which teaches the details of taildragger takeoffs and landings in gliders? I have lots of examples that I've used personally with students based on my power training a Champ and dozens of available texts oriented at the power taildragger training.

Looking back through RAS, I found a couple of old threads but not what I was looking for. I just want to re-use someone else's diagrams and text. Failing that, I'll end up formally writing up my own notes along with those from a couple of other club CFIGs.

Not necessarily looking for a new thread on "why learning in Schweizers sucks" or "how come Americans don't know how to land." But it's Winter in the northern hemisphere, so I can probably predict where this will end up.

Oh boy...here comes all the arguments "for" and "against" the various techniques! I already have 4 disagreements with the last two posts! LOL...but not in the mood for arguing...so you guys have at it!

To Erik's point...lots of training stuff on the "net" for soaring...but nobody seems to go into the concept of taildragger gliders specifically, as they do in airplanes...hence the so many bad landings we seem to see.

Cookie

Not much different than an airplane; two point touchdown in a glider as in a full stall landing in an airplane in calm conditions and medium to high energy mainwheel touchdown/approach in a glider as in a wheel landing in an airplane.

To correct,I should have;"and medium to high energy mainwheel touchdown/approach in a glider as in a wheel landing in an airplane"- in windy/gusty conditions.