Old September 20th 03, 07:19 PM
WDA

At Pensacola in 1955 we qualed in the SNJ on the Monterey, which I believe
was a CVE, an "escort" carrier. We trapped, then did a SHORT deck run right
from the spot of the trap rollout.

The Monterey was definitely smaller than the Bon Homme Richard on that first
WestPac deployment.

We told the Forrestal class weenies that their ships were so big you could
see the curvature of the earth in their flight deck.

Those were great days!

WDA

end

"Bill Kambic" wrote in message
We were always told that the performance of a T28C and F4F were pretty

close
(the Wildcat at a 1200 hp P & W, the Trojan a 1475 hp Wright Cyclone and
their weights were close). At VT-5 we CQed by trapping and launched by
deck run. IIRC, in the late 60s when LEXINGTON was not available, a CVA
was sometimes (but rarely) a stand-in. After the last 27C was retired, a
CVA would be all that was available.

Which kind of a long way of saying that an F4F would like have to trap,

but
would likely have to deck run for take off (as I doubt any modern CVA has
the proper launch gear).

Bill Kambic

P.S. On very rare occasions we deck ran S2s and C1s on INTREPID. It

could
only be done if the aircraft were very light.

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage

you
to get over it.