Old February 13th 04, 08:23 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Todd Pattist wrote:
(Chris OCallaghan) wrote:

I have a friend who only repacks his chute once per year, generally
around the beginning of his contest season. His plan if questioned by
the FAA is as follows:

FAA: This parachute is out of date.

Pilot: That's not a parachute; it's a seat cushion.

What it is is not really in question. I suspect the FAA can
prove what it is if they're pushed - and he'll lose. OTOH,
it's only illegal to fly with it if it's "available for
emergency use." If he flies without putting on the straps,
I suspect it's legal. I know I could not put on a chute
inside my cockpit if I was sitting on any straps.

Of course, then it really *is* an expensive seat cushion,
and I'd rather have a chute with me.

In my experience, if you're having this conversation,
you did something ELSE wrong first. This tiny nail in your
coffin isn't the one that's gonna keep you in that dark,
lonely place...