Old July 12th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

Default '87D gets a makeover - 3

It looks really nice Dan. You should be pleased... I agre with you and
$7800 seems like plenty. :-) After work like this is a new weight and
balance required? Just curious.

Jon Kraus

Dan Luke wrote:
The interior is finished. The work was done at Southern Avionics' new shop
at Mobile Downtown Airport.

http://tinyurl.com/gj5kt

It took 3-1/2 weeks and, according to their manager, went 90% over their
labor estimate. He is somewhat in shock about how long it took--it was
their first small airplane job. They absorbed a Mom-and-Pop operation from
Hattiesburg, MS and used "Pop's" estimating method, which apparently failed
to include "Pop's" considerable labor contributions to a typical job.

Todd says any future estimates will be much higher. Hell, I thought $7800
*was* high! I did get an estmate of $15,000 from Air Mod in Ohio, which I
thought was insane, but my guy in Mobile says his future quotes for an
airplane like mine will be more than $10,000, and he won't do everything Air
Mod does.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. The makeover is now
complete, just in time for OSH.