Old August 24th 04, 09:19 PM
Mark James Boyd

Marc Ramsey wrote:

*Listen* to what Kirk (and others) have said about this. The last thing
you want to do when thermalling down low is use a shallow bank angle.
It is just too easy to lose track of what you are doing, and end up a
bit too slow in a skidding turn.

Kinda mixing apples and oranges here, aren't you Marc? If you're saying
that an uncoordinated slow shallow turn is less safe than a properly
coordinated 40-50 degree bank angle, that's not very interesting.

It is far safer to be in a properly
coordinated turn with a 40 to 50 degree bank angle. Every glider I've
ever flown gives a much better warning of impending departure in a tight
turn, plus the visual (nose above horizon) and physical (G forces
slacking off) cues are much more pronounced.

And how many pilots did this save from a spin? How many pilots
have died because of spins from the 40-50 degree bank angle vs.
the shallow bank angle?

What makes you think that the pilot who gets too slow in a shallow bank
won't do the exact same thing in a steep bank? Not enough elevator
authority? Maybe in a training ship, and then negative transfer to
a more controllable faster glass one?

Look at the fatal accidents and describe to me the "typical" spin
fatality. Then see if it matches the classic one (shallow bank).
In my reading, it does not...
--

Mark Boyd