View Single Post
Old August 25th 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default ASH26 wing frequency

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:47:32 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi, I'm considering buying an ASH26 which has had a major wing repair. If there are any owners here I would be very grateful if they could share the frequencies quoted in their delivery documentation

Andy Smith (ASW28 owner flying at Bicester in the UK)

I followed Stan Hall's excellent article published in Soaring Mag. Jan 1982.. The flying weight of the ship - wing weight was multiplied by 5.3 G's, divided by total wing area = pounds per square foot. The wing was marked off into 24" span wise sections and the area in each section was multiplied by the #/sq' obtained above to show weight needed in each section. In reality, the inboard sections needed 2 deep sand bags and the outboard sections needed only one bag. The wing tried to twist as load was applied, but two hundred pounds of sand on top of the rear lift fitting carry-through bar stopped this.
The Genesis wing hardly bent at all under full load. Earlier we had tested a G-103 wing and the tips moved about 5 feet under full load. A picture showing the wing under load is proof positive of a good repair.
JJ