Old July 22nd 03, 04:47 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

"Mike" wrote in message
I've read the term ground loop in a lot of articles and accident reports

but
what exactly is a ground loop?

I'm sure somebody can provide a textbook definition, but my general
understanding is that it is an abrupt turn of an aircraft moving at a fairly
excessive rate of speed. I imagine something like this happening, for
instance, if one were landing in a Piper Warrior with a pretty full
deflection of the rudder and one didn't straighten it out before the
nosewheel touched the ground... the nosewheel moves as the rudder does,
unlike a C-172, which has a spring actuated bungee mechanism to turn the
nosewheel.

--
Guy Elden Jr.
PP-ASEL