Old September 25th 03, 01:06 PM
Carey Sublette

"MCN" wrote in message
Is there a version of the Mk 84 'iron bomb' that contained depleted

uranium
(DU) to give the Mk 84 a better performance as bunker buster? I'm asking

as
a spokesperson for the State Department said on 8 June 1981 in reaction to
the Israeli attack on the Iraqi Osirak/Tammuz 17 nuclear reactor:
"US-supplied uranium weapons used in the raid..." The only way those

dropped
Mk 84 could have been a kind of uranium weapon would be that they

contained
DU. Would make sense to me, but I never read that such a version of the Mk
84 existed. Anybody any info about that?

Can this reported remark be confirmed? Where are you finding it?

On general ordnance principles I doubt the existence of a Mk 84 with
depleted uranium. A possibility (assuming the quote is correct) is that the
State Department spokesperson was confused (yes, it happens!). I am also
skeptical that details of the raid were available to State so soon.

Carey Sublette