Old June 26th 18, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 9:21:38 PM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
I checked Andy out on our winch with a tow to about 800’ in the 2-33. On that flight I talked to him about not circling low. We then sat down and talked about the differences winching in a high performance ship with a CG hook, and again, I told him not to circle low. He then took a tow in his Cirrus and got to at least 1000’ maybe 1100’ To try and blame his death on the winch launch is really stupid Steve. You have my number, rather than making this **** up, why don’t you call me and find out the facts first.

Boggs

Gary: I am definitely not blaming you or the tow. You misread. What I said was that there is an altitude perception issue that I can visualize contributing to the pilot's judgement error. I am just searching for a way to understand what might have caused him to circle so damn low. If he towed to 1000 feet then my point gets weakened a little bit (An email someone sent me had said 800 feet; but I trust what you observed more than that email).