Old February 23rd 17, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Why are side sticks unpopular in sailplanes

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 15:00:08 -0800 (PST), Soartech
wrote:

I also flew a gimbaled side-stick for 8 years in a Millennium ultralight sailplane. It was so smooth, natural and comfortable I looked for a sailplane with the same arrangement. But alas, all I could find were clunky setups with sliding sticks. No wonder side sticks get a bad rap in our little world. The center stick is OK, side stick is better, more natural.

Just a question:
How do you fly with a side stick if you need your right hand to, say,
take a leak? Or change a setting on the panel?

Did you train yourself to do all these things with the left hand?