Old November 17th 18, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default And Speaking of Batteries and Center of Gravity

On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 8:23:25 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yeah, it'd be fun and I wouldn't have to source the lead, melt it, and
mold it to the right size/shape.

On 11/16/2018 10:35 AM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 9:24:20 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'm thinking of eliminating the tail battery in my Stemme but need the
weight for proper balance.Â* I know I could replace it with pure lead,
but that's a lot of work so I've come up with a plan that would be more
satisfying and I would like comments and/or suggestions.

My thought is to discharge the battery fully.Â* It's a standard AGM that
everyone uses.Â* Then drill a couple of holes in the case and flush out
the electrolyte a couple of times with water.Â* Then fill the case up
with a highly saturated solution of NaHCO3, baking soda if I have the
formula correctly, and completely neutralize any remaining acid.Â* A
final flush with pure water, let it dry out, and finally, I could add
just about anything inert to bump the weight back up to what it was, and
plug the holes.Â* Voila!Â* A perfectly sized ballast weight.

Comments?Â* Have I missed anything?
--
Dan, 5J

thats less work than a lump of lead and a block of foam???

--
Dan, 5J

Lead shot/epoxy slurry mix can be molded into about any shape and is relatively easy to source. Used it to make tail weights for my RS15.

Also lead wool can be found in hardware stores and is easily melted with a propane torch.

Mike (4)