Old September 21st 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

Default Radio Communication to Start Launch

Glider pilot calls.. "take up slack" and then counts down feet to a
stretched out cord, our tow pilots can see the line in the mirrors also. Tow
pilot can see the glider rudder waggle in most lighting conditions.. in the
mirrors.

Glider Pilot calls.. "I'm ready" if the tow pilot does not see the rudder,
calls prefaced by call signs
"11Z, Glider 9B is ready."
BT

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
Our club has always used the standard hand signals
to let the tow pilot know the rope is taut and the
tow can begin.

We are considering short-handed operations in the early
hours of the day and will have just a wing runner.
Is there a standardized phrase or a recommended best
phrase to radio the tow pilot to begin the launch?
We need something that is specific for the tow pilot,
short, unambiguous, and easily understood.

Please don't say 'Go, Go, Go!' It violates almost
all the requirements.