Old June 12th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default Lycoming to approve 93 octane auto gas for O-360 & IO-360

wrote:
All
it really means is that 93 octane (88 aviation rating) auto gas that
doesn't have ethanol or something else in it is OK.

Doesn't have ethanol? I don't think so. I read the spec and it has
provisions for oxygenates (ethanol by default). Lyc. doesn't care if you
burn ethanol in the engine. It's the plane's fuel system (tanks, hoses,
seals, etc...) that are most likely to have problems with it. Lyc. is not
applying for airframe approvals, so that's not their problem.

I'm curious where you got the 88 aviation octane number. If that is
accurate, O-360s and IO-360s will likely be blowing holes in the tops of
their pistons on hot days.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)