Old November 19th 03, 03:57 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Dashi wrote:
"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in message

Sometimes I think it's a giant crap shoot [choice of video card] of
sorts because there are so many variables involved.

That's true, you just have to buy what you think is best for your system at
that particular time.

Dashi

FYI...for the thread...and those using Nvidia cards...I just downloaded
the latest Nvidia driver from their website... 52.16 ... about
8.58MB...results were excellent! They claim this latest version better
interacts with Direct X and, at least in my case, the visual
enhancements are rather obvious. You can read the tech stuff right on
the website.

Caveat: Two schools of thought here. Nvidia itself [and some computer
mags] generally seem to urge that you take out the existing driver first
and 'then' apply the new driver but I find [using a trial machine] that
if you already have an Nvidia driver in the system, just run the new
driver exe file and it will install itself with no problems and carry
along any existing Nvidia files. For example, I have the E-glasses and
those who use same know that certain files are added to the driver files
to make the E-glasses work so when I used the exe file on the latest
driver [52.16] which I was updating from a previous Nvidia 45.20 driver,
the update went flawlessly and carried all files into the update. So
too, had things gone wrong, I could have immediately reverted [if you're
using XP anyway]back to the old driver using XP's return to previous
driver option. A nice thing to have should things not work out and that
was another reason I didn't delete the original driver because then you
have to go through hoops to get it back plus any add on files to the
original driver file! 52.16 is sharp and moves along nicely whether it's
the sims or simply webpage browsing.

I also like getting the latest driver from Nvidia itself because while I
have nothing against the Guru website where folks go to seek the latest
drivers for 'whatever' peripheral, hey, once there [Guru] you are
literally bombarded with 'multiple' ad spamming PER PAGE like sharks
having a feeding frenzy!

Doc Tony