Old February 14th 04, 03:00 AM
Maule Driver

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Steven P. McNicoll"
The last instruction issued by ATC in this case was "remain clear of the
Class C airspace. That instruction remains in effect until overridden

by
another instruction. How can it be any other way?

Well, suppose the pilot returns tomorrow and establishes two-way
communication with the Class C controller. Yesterday's remain-clear
instruction still has not been explicitly rescinded. So is it still in
effect, or can the pilot now enter the Class C?

I think you are getting to the heart of the matter. The key is that the
"remain clear' was issued before departure. It is a meaningless
admonishment by ATC. They can't clear you to enter before departure anymore
than they need to tell you to remain clear. What it is really meant to
convey is that "just because you are about ready to depart and we've made
radio contact with N-numbers, don't think it means that radio contact has
been established for the purpose of entering my Class C - let's talk after
you depart"