Old November 21st 05, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Commercial rating: complex aircraft required aircraft for practicaltest?

Marc J. Zeitlin wrote:

So after getting my instrument rating in my COZY last April, I'm
starting to think about getting my commercial rating. I realize that
per FAR 61.129 (a)(3)(ii) I need to have 10 hours in a complex aircraft
(flaps, retracts, CS prop), which my COZY doesn't have, so I'll have to
take that 10 hours of lessons in another aircraft. That's fine - won't
hurt me to do that, that's for sure. AFAICT, I've got all the other
requirements met, for hours, cross-countries, etc., and I'll have to
take the written, of course.

An instructor told me yesterday that I would have to take the practical
test in a complex aircraft (which the COZY isn't), but for the life of
me, I can't find that requirement anywhere in the FAR's. Can someone
out there point me to the FAR that requires a complex aircraft be used
for the Commercial rating practical test? Or point me to where that's
NOT required, and this instructor is mistaken?

Thanks.

Why not double up and get a multi-engine rating as part of your complex
aircraft requirements.