Old July 28th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default OT rifle caliber (was Why GA is Dying)

Wrong, the 1903 Springfield rifle was adopted in 1903 along
with the 1903 ball ammo, that used a 220 grain round nose
bullet. Ballistic advancements resulted in the spitzer
pointed bullet being adopted in 1906.

The 1903A3 was a WWII substitute standard rifle made with
several modifications to speed production, including a two
groove instead of a four groove rifled barrel. The sights
were changed to a stamped steel aperture sight mounted on
the read receiver bridge. The production of M1 Garand
rifles was slow at the start of the war in 1939 [Europe] and
training and the Marine Corps made do with WWI stock on hand
and several companies contracted to make both the 1903A3
Springfield and M1 Garand rifles.

During WWI the British had Remington manufacture their new
design Pattern 14 Enfield rifle in caliber .303 British
[although it was first intended to be a .27 caliber rifle,
but the war caused the design change to allow use of
existing ammunition being used by the SMLE, a rifle used
until after the Korean war by the British and the colonies.
When the USA entered WWI, the Army contracted to have
Remington alter the P14 to shoot the .30/06 and adopted it
as the M1917.

The M1917 was the best bolt action battle rifle ever
designed. The Springfield was a target rifle and the Garand
was the best combat rifle of the 20th Century based on its
use in combat. The M14 is just a modified Garand.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in
message
news | In article ,
| Newps wrote:
|
| Jose wrote:
| .30/06 is the rifle caliber.
|
| Nope.
| .30-'06
|
| Yep, caliber and year, not a fraction.
|

| Ok, what do the numbers mean? I've heard of a "thirty
ought six"
| referring to a gun, and think I know one of them (.30
inches?) refers to
| the gauge (width of the bullet). What's the other?
|
| The year, 1906.
|
| Actually, the .30-06 was came out in 1903 -- hence, the
03-A3
| Springfield. IIRC, it was adopted as a military standard
round in 1906.