Old July 14th 09, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default SAFE Winch Launching

Frank,

John Kangas mowed the King Mountain Glider Park (http://www.kingmountaingliderpark.com/) last week end. He also installed tie-downs getting ready for the Aug 17 "grand opening" . (Are you planning to attend?)

As you know, one of John's goals is the installation of a winch. He feels the field's proximity to the mountain and associate know areas which generate thermals will make flying cross-country from a winch a "piece of cake." I am sure he would be interested in knowing about an old Gehrlein that is languishing somewhere here in the US. (There is also a glider operation "start up" in Baker City, OR that is looking for an old winch.)

I flew my Gold 300km triangle out of Mackay, Idaho and one of the turnpoints was the King Mountain Glider Park coordinates. (http://www.soaridaho.com/Flights/6F_Gold_Distance.html)

With the proximity of both the King Mountain Glider Park and Baker City, a CG hook for my HP-14 is on my winter project list.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message ...
On Jul 13, 10:42 am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
"Del C" wrote in ...
At 15:01 13 July 2009, Wayne Paul wrote:

I concur that the US needs an economical way to launch sailplanes. As elsewhere in the world, a good winch seems to be the answer.

I don't have a ground-launch endorsement in my log book; however, I hope to get the training in the near future.

In order for the endorsement to have any value, I will need to install a CG hook on my HP-14 and travel to a facility with a winch. There are a couple of auto/truck ground launching operation less then 300 mile; however, I will have the travel about 700 mile to use a winch. This should give you some sense of the US lack of winch launch accessibility.

Wayne,

I was talking with Bill Corbin today about the prospect of finding a
winch for King Mountain. Any old Gehrlein model 62's languishing
about out there readers? We may be launching with one starting
Tuesday. I spent 8 hours on the tractor mowing the launch and
recovery area and runways today, such is the rain we've had in
Colorado this year.

Frank Whiteley