Old May 13th 05, 08:00 PM
Charles O'Rourke

Jesse Wright wrote:
"...IMO, being so lost that someone ends up 3 miles from the White
House shows a lack of qualification or competency..."

Using this analogy, a pilot would be exhibiting a "lack of competency"
and would not be covered by ASRS immunity if they busted a Class Bravo
airspace. But, isn't immunity granted for that type of offense?

Yes, the DC ADIZ is the most sensitive of all airspaces. But, with
lack of criminal charges, this incident boils down to a highly
publicized airspace incursion.

True, I don't know just how incompetant the pilot has to be before they
lose their ASRS immunity. Is there a distinction between getting a
little too close to the Class Bravo, and blasting right through the
center of it without talking to anyone? It's easier to understand the
former as an honest mistake, the latter shows a real lack of proficiency
with navigation and would create some serious doubt as to whether the
offender is a safe pilot. The latter is more like the current case,
where they ended up right over the center of the FRZ.

Personally, I'm not sure I understand why the ASRS immunity is granted
in the case of airspace busts. Isn't the idea to have pilots come clean
so the system can be repaired if something is broken? If a pilot just
messes up and enters the Class Bravo without talking to ATC, the system
didn't fail, the pilot did. But I guess that's a different discussion.

Charles.
-N8385U