Old October 22nd 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred Blair

Default online cfig renewal

I have used American Flyers for a few renewals. You pay once up front and
from then on there is just a $40 processing fee for the paperwork.

Because there is a 16 hr requirement for the training program to be approved
by the FAA, you do have to spend 16 hrs reading their course work. The
course is divided into smaller sections and each one has a minimum time of
reading, then it lets you take the test on that section. You can not get to
the later sections until complete each section.

The only problem is that it is a generic CFI course so you will have to
learn some new things to pass. Last time I used it, it had a section on
teaching instrument approaches with GPS; lots of new terms to learn.

I find it convenient since I travel a lot.

Fred
"BB" wrote in message
I need to renew my CFIG, and it runs out before any of the SSF
clinics. So, online we go

I'd like to hear recommendations and experience of ras people on the
various online options. I'm especially interested in what works for
someone like me with only a glider rating, and I want a course that
does not make you spend a set amount of time in their lessons.

Thanks

John Cochrane BB