Old October 22nd 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default online cfig renewal

"BB" wrote in message
Although there may be a slight gap, I believe there's one scheduled
for Chicago in late January 2009. The soaring season gap starts in
that area soon, doesn't it?

Alas, CFIG expires 12/08 and the FAA doesn't do "slight gaps"! Hence,
I get to learn how to teach instrument approaches. Ugh!
John Cochrane

_________

This is not exactly the answer you are looking for but this is what I did
when I faced the same delimma this past spring.

I had attended FIRC's for the last three renewals but left feeling something
was missing. (Beyond the $150 that used to be in my wallet.) I wanted a
more rigorus renewal that would teach me something. That led me to retake
the CFI-G practical/written tests.

Of course, I didn't actually take an approved FAA written, I just studied
for it and took a practice exams until I could score in the high 90's. Then
I scheduled a practical flight check with my local DPE and showed him the
results of the practice exam. We did a couple of flights and he signed me
off without charge. I've found that DPE's have a soft spot in their hearts
for CFI-G's and, if you are good, they often won't charge as a professional
courtesy.