View Single Post
Old March 10th 21, 01:10 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Aug 2010

[quote=Dan Marotta;1039944]The following statement came right off the FAA website:

If you are going to pilot a balloon or glider, you don't need a medical
certificate. All you need to do is write a statement certifying that you
have no medical defect that would make you unable to pilot a balloon or
glider.

So it would appear that if you have lost medical certification, you
can't legally fly a glider. If you never had a medical certificate,
it's up to you to decide. If you think you might fail your next flight
medical exam, consider dropping to Basic Med (USA only).

Dan
5J

That is one interpretation. As I understood it, to fly a glider you need to self certify using the "IAMSAFER" acronym. I know more than one airline pilot who has had a myocardial infarction with incapacitation. A couple of these pilots are now flying gliders quite well and openly.

Is it a matter of having had a medical, experienced an event they knew would cause them to fail the next medical and went right to gliders? Seems a bit implausible to me. I've done hundreds of Thallium Stress Tests and many of them on pilots who have busted their medical. Lots of guys walking around out there with shunts too, an event not involving a MI. While scar tissue in the myocardium will always be scar tissue, some are able to rehab themselves to a reasonable degree and live a normal life. I assure you there are many glider pilots with EKGs which would not pass a medical and yet they live and perform adequately. It would not be unreasonable for someone in this condition to self certify. JMHO.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot.