Old January 26th 04, 11:29 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Tony wrote:
As we climbed through
5000 the door pops open.

One challenge for us one-door Piper pilots is that we have to teach
our passengers how to use the doors. In the case of the Comanche you
need to make sure you rotate the handle forward far enough that the
thing that looks like a door lock drops into place (and you need to
lift that pin before opening). If your door is missing that pin (the
one I used to rent was) you'll need to keep a bungee that you can use
to pull the latch down toward the armrest while in flight.

About the second or third time my wife went up with me she didn't get
the pin to engage and the door popped open after about 45 minutes. I
found I had to slow to about 100-110mph to keep it from fluttering. No
way you can close it that last 1/2" in flight.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/