Old January 27th 04, 05:20 AM

On 26-Jan-2004, Tony wrote:

I do have a question
concerning the prop not engaing during the start. My CFI hoped out and
moved the prop and pushed a pin somewhere by the prop and it fried right
up. What causes this and how can I fix it?

I assume what you mean is that the starter spun rapidly but the prop did not
turn. This is caused by the bendix gear on the starter not extending to
engage the flywheel (the ring of gear teeth behind the prop). This commonly
happens when the bendix drive becomes worn or needs lubrication. The CFI
probably just jostled the bendix a bit, and next time you tried it worked.
I'd have a mechanic look at it before you get stuck somewhere out in the
boondocks.

Congratulations on your new plane! Keep us posted on how it works out for
you.
--
-Elliott Drucker