Old February 17th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Seaplane Landing Direction ?

On Feb 17, 11:14*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in a
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the second is correct, as this would be a landing into
the wind.

But, this would possibly be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for
sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Few "sea planes" are capable of operating in open sea. Usually we're
flying from lakes. Some guys do fly from salt water but usually in
bays, not open water. I'm sure the old clipper ships probably had no
problem with open sea though.

-Robert