Old June 25th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Gliderport Fined $9,000 over Use of 123.3Mhz

On Jun 24, 2:54*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...b0608/DA-09-12...

FYI - One of our proactive members found this article about an FCC
fine of $9,000 against the Texas Soaring Association (TSA) in Lubbock
TX because their airport's radio license had expired. *It appears what
tripped this trigger was the TSA complaining to the FCC about
"interference" on 123.3. *Boy, did that backfire.

We looked into it and my own gliderport's license had also expired -
which we are *QUICKLY* fixing. *You might want to look into that at
your port.

It is unclear to me if the license relates to 123.3, or the frequency
on the sectional or a general FCC license that a particular airport is
legal to broadcast, or a combination. *I also don't understand if this
has to do with the base station, handhelds, airplane radio or totally
unrelated to the hardware being used. *I do know that my own use of a
radio in my glider no longer requires an individual license.

I'd also like to understand what controls the use of 123.3 (or 123.5)
which I have been told is for "training" use. *True? *By whom? *The
FAA? *FCC? *Note that the FCC complaint says that TSA complained about
interference from "commercial jets inbound to Lubbock, Texas" (on
123.3) which surprised me.

Any information about how the FAA/FCC handles airport licensing would
be interesting.

My $0.02.

- John DeRosa

I would think that the absence of complaints against TSA for use of
the frequency during the violation period would be grounds to appeal
for a significant reduction in the forfeiture. Note these are
proposed forfeitures. TSA is also a 501c(3) charitable organization.
That means that their corporate purpose includes a defined public
benefit. Said forfeiture would impact their ability to fully meet
that goal, regardless of ability to pay.

Frank Whiteley