View Single Post
Old July 30th 15, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster

Default Super simple portable flight recorder for beginning lessons?

I want something that I can turn on, stick in my pocket and turn off after flight. Then download flight track. It needs to be super simple - I don't need something that is a distraction. I don't need anything high performance and it doesn't need to read out in real time. Just an idiot proof data recorder. Is there something cheap and cheerful that would fit the bill? The thought is to replay over google earth (with IGC to KML conversion) then watch me fly pattern after pattern after pattern.

I'm in a similar position (getting back into flying) and have found that XC Soar works really well for this. I initially tried to mount my smart phone (Galaxy S4 - built-in baro is amazing), but quickly realized this was overkill for the short training flights I'm doing. Now I just click the XC Soar icon and stick the phone in my pocket. The vario is nice since the 2-33 I fly doesn't have one. I just leave it running for multiple flights since the app takes care of breaking each flight into a separate IGC file that I upload to OLC. It's really nice to see the details each flight:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...t=olc&pi=58092