View Single Post
Old July 30th 15, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Stroschine
external usenet poster

Default Super simple portable flight recorder for beginning lessons?

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 7:52:10 AM UTC-7, teck48 wrote:
Hello all. I'm about to take lessons to get back into gliding at Adrian Soaring Club here in Michigan. It's been twenty years since I've flown. Let's hope it's like riding a bicycle....

Thought it might be fun to use an online flight logbook that I could hopefully attach IGC files to to record and review my flights as a training aid.. Moving into the 21st century... yes siree bob

I want something that I can turn on, stick in my pocket and turn off after flight. Then download flight track. It needs to be super simple - I don't need something that is a distraction. I don't need anything high performance and it doesn't need to read out in real time. Just an idiot proof data recorder. Is there something cheap and cheerful that would fit the bill? The thought is to replay over google earth (with IGC to KML conversion) then watch me fly pattern after pattern after pattern.

I'd bet I could try an app on my android phone (XC Soar) but that seems like overkill. Does it have a dumb mode? I just want something that's gonna work without fiddling.

Thanks much for any thoughts. Love this group. --Tom

Since my phone doesn't have good GPS (at least when it is in my pocket) I just got the FlywithCE logger and so far really like it. It's really easy to use, small, and it produces signed igc files so you can use it for some of your badges and on OLC.

HTH,
Dan