Old March 4th 19, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Waxing and polishing

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 9:08:48 PM UTC+2, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Are silicone-containing polishes etc to be shunned?

Can anybody recommend an FRP repair publication that gives any more
details about dealing with contamination than the one I quoted above?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

I know at least one refinish of a glider that was ruined because removal of silicone from surfaces was not done properly. They had to sand and paint glider twice.

It is probably impossible to avoid silicon completely, many car waxes have it without any mention in specs. But if you have a chance of avoiding it, please do.

I wax my glider with hard paste-style Collinite. With normal "easy to apply"- fluid waxes (=most likely to have silicone) the wax wears off pretty fast from leading edges.