Old September 20th 04, 04:14 AM
John T

Dean Wilkinson wrote:

The DUATS planner is subsidized by the government, I am not.

AOPA and EAA planners are subsidized by the membership, I am not.

Not charging a penny to download, install, and use the software for as
long as you want, that is free.

All valid points.

Charging a small fee for the database update service? Yes, that is
fair and the only way to guarantee that I am around to provide them...

....and also makes the "free" product no longer free. The value of your
light edition is greatly diminished with outdated databases and your
charging a fee to update them makes your claim of "free" rather
disingenuous.

Nobody's begrudging your covering expenses or even making a profit. The
problem arises when you make the claim of "free" then tell us that we have
to pay to get current data. That's like the TV ads that claim the product
is "FREE!!" - all we have to pay is a "nominal shipping & handling fee".

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer