Old March 14th 05, 01:53 AM
Mal.com

From my personal observation at FL235 and the temperature minus 26C the unit
slowed down and then failed I put the EDS onto emergency supply.

Note the steep descent after this moment LOL
http://www.mals.net/bunyan04/pages/Picture%20001.htm

In future if I go above FL180 I will have a spare battery and a battery
inside my clothing (32C degrees is about optimum battery operation body temp
is 36C) with wires and connectors coming out to connect to the EDS unit.

I will also carry a spare or emergency oxygen system.

As simply having the battery in the pocket of the glider exposes the battery
to the cold temperatures so its just as useless.

Think of another thing its freezing cold you take your hands out of the
gloves you then have to fumble with the battery and fly the glider.

Remember if you smoke at ground level you are already at 5000FT

The hypoxia curve is worth a study as well.

Is adrenalin part of the discharge curve LOL

Is there any documented discharge curve for these styles of batteries at
sub zero temps ? ....(eg) high altitude wave flight

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they