Old September 4th 03, 01:29 PM
Ray Lovinggood

I have a Microair in my glider and there are a couple
of gliders in our club that I can't understand transmissions
coming from their radios.

One is equipped with an (identical?) Microair and the
other is equipped with either a Dittel or a Becker.
Other gliders hear them fine. All I hear is a garbled
message. I can usually determine who is speaking by
the sound of their voice, but I can't distinguish the
words.

I do plan on taking the glider to a radio shop and
have them check it out, including the antenna.

Is it my radio or the others? I suspect it is my radio
since others here the 'garblers' clearly. They all
say my transmissions are clear.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS-1d (In need of a snorkle this year...)

At 12:36 04 September 2003, Andy Durbin wrote:
Mike Borgelt wrote in message
I have a Microair in my ASW-28. It has a front panel
squelch control
that can be very useful for shutting out chatter from
distant sites
while still leaving the volume high enough to hear
safety calls from
proximate gliders. Other 'top of the line' glider
radios have no
pilot adjustable squelch.

I am happy with mine except that I still have not
resolved a problem
that a few gliders that I fly with are very distorted
and unreadable,
while most are clear even when very close.

Andy (GY)

I think your problem is actually in the other gliders.
The MicroAir
receiver is narrow band. Other transmitters may meet
the older
specifications but may have a problem talking to a
MicroAir receiver.
I think that was what the MicroAir designer was talking
about at
Kingaroy a few months ago.

Mike Borgelt

Mike,

I suspect you are right nut I have not yet been able
to confirm with
frequency measurements.

Is the MicroAir designed with a narrow IF passband
to support 12.5kHz
channel spacing? It only allows selection of 25kHz
channels. If that
is the case perhaps they would consider a design change
to widen the
IF passband.

Has Australia changed to 12.5kHz spacing?

Andy (GY)