Old September 5th 03, 12:27 AM
Mike Borgelt

On 4 Sep 2003 04:43:44 -0700, (Andy Durbin)
wrote:

Mike Borgelt wrote in message
I have a Microair in my ASW-28. It has a front panel squelch control
that can be very useful for shutting out chatter from distant sites
while still leaving the volume high enough to hear safety calls from
proximate gliders. Other "top of the line" glider radios have no
pilot adjustable squelch.

I am happy with mine except that I still have not resolved a problem
that a few gliders that I fly with are very distorted and unreadable,
while most are clear even when very close.

Andy (GY)

I think your problem is actually in the other gliders. The MicroAir
receiver is narrow band. Other transmitters may meet the older
specifications but may have a problem talking to a MicroAir receiver.
I think that was what the MicroAir designer was talking about at
Kingaroy a few months ago.

Mike Borgelt

Mike,

I suspect you are right nut I have not yet been able to confirm with
frequency measurements.

Is the MicroAir designed with a narrow IF passband to support 12.5kHz
channel spacing? It only allows selection of 25kHz channels. If that
is the case perhaps they would consider a design change to widen the
IF passband.

Has Australia changed to 12.5kHz spacing?

Andy (GY)

We have not changed to 12.5Khz spacing.
I suggest if you are having problems that you email the MicroAir
people direct. Ian Mugen is the manager of the MicroAir factory and he
is a glider pilot from New Zealand.
MicroAir is owned by the people who also own and run the Jabiru
aircraft and engine factory. I know them all and I'm sure if you let
them know they'll help. They can't fix what they don't know about.

Mike Borgelt