Old January 11th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soarin Again

Default Troubling story and some questions

The SparrowHawk may be either operated as an ultralight
vehicle or
an experimental aircraft - choice of owner. There are
advantages and
disadvantages in either category. I operate my SparrowHawk
as an
ultralight but have it equipped probably better than
many gliders with
EDS O2, a transponder and a ballistic parachute. Since
I still belong
to USHPA (US Hang Gliding Paragliding Association)
I am covered for
$1,000,000 liability insurance for only $60. Also because
there is no
N number the SparrowHawk falls into the same category
as hang gliders/
paragliders and there are no local property taxes to
be paid. Since I
have 10 years of sailplane experience and most operators
know me in
this part of the world I have no problems getting a
tow from the local
FBOs. For me the obvious choice was ultralight category.
For others
there may be good reasons for experimental category.
These may include
getting hull insurance and the requirement from the
FBO have a
registered aircraft if you want a tow.
Because the FAA never envisioned a SparrowHawk when
Part 103 was
generated there are almost no operating restrictions
on an unpowered
ultralights - no pilot license, no air worthiness certificate,
no
pilot flying experience, no stall speed requirements,
no maximum speed
restrictions, no O2 requirements and the list goes
on. The only
restrictions are weight (155lbs without installed safety
equipment),
one person, no flying over populous areas and keeping
out of ATC
controlled airspace (A, B,C and D) except with permission.
I still
have yet to land the SparrowHawk at Reid Hillview Airport
(D airspace)
in San Jose, CA which is a very busy towered GA airport,
but they are
quite comfortable with me landing the Stemme as a glider
that I am
sure after a couple of questions and clarifications
I would be given
permission.
Dave

I went to the Sparrowhawk web page where it
shows the empty weight as 155 lbs. Are you saying
that with a transponder, radio, batteries and oxygen
system installed the Sparrowhawk still weighs only
155 lbs?