Old January 11th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_5_]

Default Troubling story and some questions

JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Jan 10, 4:06 pm, " wrote:
Hi:

Jumping into the fray here (both feet!) with some ASRS reports about
NMACs at altitude.

Last year I installed a transponder and PCAS and I wouldn't fly around
Reno without them. Last spring a light twin and I saw and talked (on
123.3) We were below Reno's radar coverage, he saw my 0440 squawk on
his TCAS and I picked up his transponder on my
PCAS........................That report about gliders coming down the
ridge line at 12,000 feet is undoubtedly from the Dog Skins Ridge just
west of Air Sailing. This is serious, folks..........we can
voluntarialy install transponders now (around areas like Reno) or
have them mandated right after a glider gets shredded by an airliner!
I can see the headline now, "Pleasure seekers flying plastic toys,
endanger the flying public".

Jeeze JJ, don't write the headlines for them!
I agree otherwise.

Shawn