Old March 3rd 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

On Mar 2, 5:53 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
The list of countries with people that "sat on their hands whilst
under the yoke of the most immoral regime in modern history" includes
Poland, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg,
Yugoslavia, and Greece.

Right, but none of those countries were loudly proclaiming themselves to be
"world powers" and "leaders of the free world", as was the case with France
prior to WWII. Their collapse in the Battle of France was so complete,
quick, and unexpected that their national prestige will probably never
recover.

The truth is that France prissily regarded themselves as a major world power
long after the shine was off her apple. The amazing thing is that they
continue to display this attitude to this day.

Ya gotta admire their chutzpah, I suppose -- but it's what makes them the
butt of jokes here in America.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Perhaps your minor in history didn't cover The Great War, the
Napoleonic Wars, or the Seven Year's War.

Look those up and then come back and discuss France's place in world
history.

My master's in History and I will be waiting.

Dan