Old March 4th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
steve[_1_]

Default Flaps check - great lesson learned

While recently getting checked out to fly a glass panel Cirrus, my
instructor, under the statement that the TAWS wasn't operating quite right,
reached down along the circuit panel while I was busy flying my last
instrument approach. As I entered the decent phase of a straight in landing,
I applied 50% flaps, then as I got near the runway, applied 100% flaps and
noticed that I was still coming in "different" than normal. I did a
beautiful landing and as we taxi'd off the runway, the instructor asked if I
noticed what was wrong. He had pulled the breaker on the electronic flaps so
I actually landed with no flaps extended. He stated that I ALWAYS need to do
visual verification that the flaps extended properly on both sides,
especially when they are electical.

It was a great lesson that I will never forget. I was also really pleased
with doing a good landing in an aircraft that wants to keep flying, even
with flaps extended.

--
Thanks,

Steve