Old March 4th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
steve[_1_]

Default Flaps check - great lesson learned

You are correct, I was coming in at about 85 knots instead of the 75 at
touch down. too fast. It won't happen again.

"G Paleologopoulos" wrote in message
"steve" wrote

While recently getting checked out to fly a glass panel Cirrus, my
instructor, under the statement that the TAWS wasn't operating quite
right, reached down along the circuit panel while I was busy flying my
last instrument approach. As I entered the decent phase of a straight in
landing, I applied 50% flaps, then as I got near the runway, applied 100%
flaps and noticed that I was still coming in "different" than normal. I
did a beautiful landing and as we taxi'd off the runway, the instructor
asked if I noticed what was wrong. He had pulled the breaker on the
electronic flaps so I actually landed with no flaps extended. He stated
that I ALWAYS need to do visual verification that the flaps extended
properly on both sides, especially when they are electical.

It was a great lesson that I will never forget. I was also really pleased
with doing a good landing in an aircraft that wants to keep flying, even
with flaps extended.

If you did a "beautiful landing" thinking you had full flaps, it means you
were coming in WAY too fast, had you the flaps.