Old March 27th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

Default Garmin GPSMAP 495

On Mar 27, 10:02 am, "Marco Leon"
wrote:
Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package at
$1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate Garmin's
ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think this is a
winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi, better
processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big jump in capability over the 296 to justify
a 1/3 increase in cost. Maybe I'm just coming from the wrong angle as an IFR
flyer...

Marco

I thought the salient selling point of the 496 is XM Weather
availability.

SafeTaxi and AOPA are nice, but nowhere near the utility of XM wx.

Dan Mc