Old March 27th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default Garmin GPSMAP 495

Marco Leon wrote:
Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package at
$1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate Garmin's
ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think this is a
winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi, better
processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big jump in capability over the 296 to justify
a 1/3 increase in cost. Maybe I'm just coming from the wrong angle as an IFR
flyer...

Marco

I agree that the drop should have been more than $400. But don't
undervalue that faster processor and 5x faster refresh rate.