Old May 8th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Which PDA ?

Paul, does the ClearNav have an LED backlight screen?

From my research, a screen brightness of 1000 Nits is required for a fully
"sunlight readable" screen. Most PDA's and laptops have about 200 nits. To
get 1000 Nits with a CCL backlight, requires more current that can
reasonably be provided in a battery operated device.

LED backlights seem to be much brighter and use less power than CCL
backlights.

Bill D

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi Udo,

The best PDA available is the 1550. You can probably still find a good
one if you keep checking ebay every day for a week or 2.

I fly with an iPAQ hx4700 but I'm moving to an iPAQ 210. It doesn't have
a built in serial port so I have worked out a good solution with a CF card
serial port and a customer Nimbus cradle. The 210 seems a bit brighter
than my hx4700 indoors, but that may be due to the backlight in the hx4700
getting dimmer over the 2 to 3 years I've had it. It is similar to the
hx4700 (maybe a little better) in sunlight.

Of course, the ClearNav is the best option. It is very readable in
sunlight. I have about 20 customers lined up to buy them - mainly for
that reason. I'm excited because I have been contracted to write the
manual for it. It is a great product that will be very popular. Let me
know if you want to get onto my waiting list.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Udo" wrote in message
I am thinking of upgrading my PDA for my GNII.
The display should be readable in sun light. Presently I use a1550 as
primary with a 302 and the 39xx as a back up with a 302A. Maybe I
should get a CAI Nav display and one good PDA. Which one? Please make
recomendations.
Udo