Old May 8th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Which PDA ?

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure what type of backlight is used but I've sent an e-mail to NK to
ask. I also asked what the current draw of the ClearNav is.

Of course the current draw is going to be somewhat high, but that is to be
expected. It is the price you pay for a sunlight readable display. If I
remember correctly, at the SSA Convention someone (Chip Garner I believe)
said it will draw about 400 mA at minimum brightness (still quite bright)
and 700 mA at full brightness. I believe my iPAQ hx4700 and iPAQ 210 draw
about 400 mA when full charged, with the backlight on full power. I imagine
that pilots with transponders, radios and ClearNavs will need to go to a
larger battery then they have used in the past. But everyone that has seen
a ClearNav in bright sunlight says it is very, very nice - worth the price
and the current draw.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..
Paul, does the ClearNav have an LED backlight screen?

From my research, a screen brightness of 1000 Nits is required for a fully
"sunlight readable" screen. Most PDA's and laptops have about 200 nits.
To get 1000 Nits with a CCL backlight, requires more current that can
reasonably be provided in a battery operated device.

LED backlights seem to be much brighter and use less power than CCL
backlights.

Bill D

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi Udo,

The best PDA available is the 1550. You can probably still find a good
one if you keep checking ebay every day for a week or 2.

I fly with an iPAQ hx4700 but I'm moving to an iPAQ 210. It doesn't have
a built in serial port so I have worked out a good solution with a CF
card serial port and a customer Nimbus cradle. The 210 seems a bit
brighter than my hx4700 indoors, but that may be due to the backlight in
the hx4700 getting dimmer over the 2 to 3 years I've had it. It is
similar to the hx4700 (maybe a little better) in sunlight.

Of course, the ClearNav is the best option. It is very readable in
sunlight. I have about 20 customers lined up to buy them - mainly for
that reason. I'm excited because I have been contracted to write the
manual for it. It is a great product that will be very popular. Let me
know if you want to get onto my waiting list.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Udo" wrote in message
I am thinking of upgrading my PDA for my GNII.
The display should be readable in sun light. Presently I use a1550 as
primary with a 302 and the 39xx as a back up with a 302A. Maybe I
should get a CAI Nav display and one good PDA. Which one? Please make
recomendations.
Udo