Old May 14th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Default SPOT messenger

I have been told by a firend that deals in Sat Phones that there will be an
Iridium based (True World Wide) device but will be 3 times the cost. and
have a key pad to enter text personal messages and your position will be on
display.

wrote in message
Having followed the discussions here on the SPOT messenger
(findmespot.com) I just bought one -- andhope never to need it of
course. While far from perfect, it seems like a very good aid should
search and rescue be needed. A few observations:

I had thought I might use it in OK mode to report my position more
frequently than the every 10 minutes in "track mode." At 120 kts,
that's every 20 nm, leaving as much as 1500 sq miles to search. Better
than those looking for Steve Fosset had, but still a lot. Of course,
the average will be less than 1500 sq miles. There is a 50% chance it
will be less than 400 sq miles.

Unfortunately, the OK mode and track mode cannot be used at the same
time. Also, it looks like the unit takes 20 minutes to send an OK
message -- sending it repeatedly at several minute intervals to
increase the probability of having a clear view of the sky. So track
mode's every 10 minutes is best for aviation use.

I also was a bit concerned that the unit could be in OK mode when I
really wanted tracking mode. You get either one by pressing the OK
button, momentarily to get OK mode and holding it for at least 5
seconds to get tracking mode. The problem is that, in both cases, the
indicator lights look the same: the power LED and the OK LED flash in
unison every 3 seconds! But there are two ways to distinguish between
the two that are not described in the manual:

1. When you hold the OK button to go into tracking mode, the OK LED
comes on constantly (not flashing) for 5 seconds and then starts the 3
second flash -- so it looks like it goes out after 5 seconds. Getting
to OK mode, you hit the OK button only momentarily and the OK LED
starts flashing every 3 seconds immediately.

2. In OK mode, the OK LED flashes in unison with the Power LED for
15-20 minutes, after which the OK transmissions are complete and only
the Power LED flashes. So, if you start tracking mode more than 20
minutes before starting your flight and check that both LED's are
still flashing when you get in the plane, you know you're in tracking
mode.

I also suggested to the company that they offer an aviation tracking
option that reports every minute instead of every 10 minutes, but was
told the unit takes 4 minutes to get each GPS fix. I guess that's how
it last so long on a set of batteries. I then suggested they offer an
every 4 minute tracking option and was told they will think about it.

Hoping this helps.

Martin
N56WT