Old May 15th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default SPOT messenger

On May 14, 11:34*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On May 14, 4:37 pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:

The SPOT does not "wait for an opening" to talk to Globalstar, it has
no idea where the Globalstar satelites are, it just sends blind, then
retransmits the same message later. It's pure simplex, there is no
"carrier detect", no handshake, no ACK. Nothing. *The Globalstar
satellites are just dumb one-way bent pipe repeaters. Sometime being
simple is a beautiful thing.

I always assumed the 20 minute thing was put into the SPOT system
because sat time is expensive.

Executive summary: go buy yourself a SPOT messenger!

I did and I love it! I'm just waiting for them to create a public side
to findmespot.com so I can share my tracks. Right now you have to give
out the admin password to your account (which includes your credit
card on file, etc) for people to see your tracks.

-Robert